Policy and procedure
New Hampshire state requirements for ELO policies
Technical Advisory #12 from the NH Department of Education provides further guidance on ELOs.
A Best Practices Checklist was developed by NH Transition Community of Practice, ELO Practice Group to assist schools to align NH Minimum Standards with recommendations from experts and practitioners in the field of ELO development.
Policies and procedures are particular to schools and should support ELOs and support the student. Determining which students can access ELOs and which disciplines will be available must happen at the beginning of the process.
Procedures should include:
- managing teacher responsibilities to coach ELOs
- making sure adequate insurance is in place
- assigning and awarding credit
- obtaining Department of Labor approval for community partner sites
- tracking and monitoring ELOs
- disclosing IEP information
- obtaining parental approval
Examples from practicing schools
Guidelines for awarding ELO credit
ELOs can provide credit in any discipline. Flexible NH rules give school boards and districts permission to:
- award quarter, half, and/or full credit
- have interdisciplinary ELOs that provide multiple credits in multiple content areas
- introduce ELOs as a way of expanding electives, and later shift into offering core credit as well
- link duration of ELOs to mastery of competencies rather that semester or quarter end dates
The NH DOE Competency Validation Rubric (PDF, 3 pages) can guide planning for required competency mastery and corresponding credit(s) to be awarded. Credit for ELOs should be agreed upon before the work begins.
Agreement forms for ELO approval and documentation
The NH ELO Design Template is one of the foundational tools for developing quality ELOs. It was created by the Q.E.D. Foundation as part of the NH Department of Education ELO Initiative. Schools around the state have used this document as a starting point for creating design templates customized for their local needs.
You may want other agreement forms to help maintain a coherent process for approvals and documentation, e.g., proposal outlines, community partner agreements, and permission slips.
Sample school agreement forms
Proposal Form (MSWord, 4 pages)
Learning Agreement (PDF, 1 page)
Permission Form and Student Learning Plan (MSWord, 2 pages)
ELO Planning Tool (PDF, 1 page)
Community Partner Agreements (MSWord 4 pages)
Parent/Guardian Permission Slip, English/Spanish (PDF, 1 page)
On this website
- NH Minimum Standards for Public School Approval (PDF)
- Best Practices Checklist (PDF)
- Agreement forms
- NH ELO Design Template
- ELO Sustainability worksheet (MSWord)
- ELO Sustainability resources (MSWord)